Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Holding on Tight

Does anyone else feel shocked at the passing of time? I remember when I was little, I felt like time dragged on and on .... my birthday only came once a year and I felt like it was an ETERNITY until it came each year. I wanted to "be bigger" and I felt as though I would never arrive. Anyone else?
This week I celebrated another birthday and, now that I'm old (33!!), I feel like the birthdays come faster and faster. It feels the same for my girls ... Kenna turned 6 this month ... SIX!!! How. Did. That. Happen. This morning when I took her to school, we were holding hands and then, as we walked through the school yard, she shook my hand away from hers and wanted to walk without touching me (GASP!!). I knew this day was coming, but now that it is here, I can't believe it. I can remember my dad talking about the first time that I didn't want to hold hands with him. He was so sad. And now, as my sweet Kenna girl shook her hand out of mine, I know how he felt. She is growing up, getting bigger and turning into her own person. So much of that is good. I LOVE the person she is becoming, but I also find myself feeling sad about the change. Change is hard. Good? Yes. Needed? Yes. Hard? Yes.
This morning I've been pondering the growing and changing that I have done and continue to do. I've been thinking about holding my dad's hand ... and holding my heavenly father's hand. I hope that as I continue to grow and change, I continue to grasp His hand, no matter what comes. So often, I am tempted to shake off His hand and go my own way, do it my own way, figure it out on my own. I don't like change because it is uncomfortable and I try to increase my comfort. When I do, I am always left feeling alone and lost; I find myself running back to Him. So this morning, I am asking Him what I can do to keep holding on. What can I do to push back the urge to go it on my own? What are ways that I can remind myself to hold on tight and never let go, to walk with Him even when it hurts? When I do hold on, the change seems so much more manageable. It is still hard and can still hurt like crazy, but it doesn't feel insurmountable, because I know that I am not alone. 


The girls getting a ride to school with Peter


First day of school ... Kinzie had just gotten in trouble and was not happy about smiling for a picture :)


- Katie

3 comments:

  1. "Hold me close, let Your love surround me! Bring me near, draw me to Your side!" . Your post made me cry.....keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days can be rough at the hospital, and when they get that way I look at your blog for laughter and support! It is seriously so uplifting to read about everything you are learning, and it helps me be able to share my love of Jesus in different ways here at work. What a beautiful image that is, holding our Father's hand. That is good stuff. Thanks! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. you guys on the motorcycle is priceless! way to be a badass you guys.

    ReplyDelete