Monday, March 21, 2016

Teaching

As many of you know, starting in February, I entered into the wonderful world of teaching. Our hospital has a few incredible ministries associated with it, one of which is El Camino Bilingual School. Back in November, I knew that there would most likely be a need for teachers for this year (there still is! shoot me an email if you're interested!). I felt the Lord prompting me that this is something I should pursue. Honestly, I was TERRIFIED. My Bachelor's degree is in Secondary Spanish Education, meaning high school, meaning maybe junior high, meaning definitely NOT elementary. Since El Camino currently only goes through fourth grade (we add a grade each year with the hope and dream to one day go through high school), that would mean, in my mind, that I was definitely not qualified for teaching until sometime in the future when the school included junior high and high school. In my prayer time, I tried to explain that to the Lord. I told him about how unqualified I am. I told him about the strain it would put on our family. I told him about how I have no clue how to teach elementary. I told him all the reasons why this idea just wouldn't work. He didn't seem to understand ;) and kept prompting me to volunteer. So I did.

Fast forward four months and I am currently six weeks into the school year of teaching fourth grade at El Camino Bilingual School. And you know what? I LOVE it. Love. It. Has it been hard? Absolutely. Has it been overwhelming? Without a doubt. Has it presented challenges and changes for our family? You bet. Have I cried and felt like I couldn't do it another day? Yes. Have I felt that there are not possibly enough hours in the day for all that I need to get done? Yes. And again, has it been hard? Hell, yes (excuse my language). Is it still hard? Yes. Are there still days I want to give up? Yes. Am I sure that this is where God has called not only me but also my family for this year? 100% yes.

I am learning and growing. I am remembering parts of who God made me that I had forgotten and that I really like. I am learning how to parent and love my girls better. I am learning more and better ways of how to help kids feel seen, and important, and loved. I am remembering how exciting and crazy and unending Jesus' love is for me. I am remembering talents and gifts that He gave me that I had forgotten I had.

So many ways I am growing and changing. So many ways that my family is growing and changing. None of it would be happening if I had convinced myself that I didn't need to say yes, that I didn't need to obey. So often, it is so stinkin' hard to follow where he leads. It hurts. It stretches. It pushes. It pulls. BUT, teaching is reminding me, once again, that his ways are better than my ways. He knows me. He loves me. He is trustworthy. He calls me to hard things. He asks seemingly impossible things of me. They hurt. They stretch. They push. They pull. BUT, they are good. They are life giving. They are truth giving. Because, he is the author of them. He is truth. He is life. He is love. He knows. He sees. He has the best.

- Katie

My beautiful classroom

First week of school

Fourth grade ... reading Mr Popper's Penguins and learning what it means to 'pose' for a picture

Recess

One-armed handstands at recess

Our fourth grade class. We have 15 amazing students. 
My co-teacher, Meredith, arrived back from furlough. Yay! She will be teaching Math and Science and I will be teaching Language Arts, Reading, and Bible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment