Thursday, August 1, 2013

Koley

I first noticed that she had little tiny bumps all around her mouth. I was watching closely to make sure those bumps didn't spread. After about 15 minutes, she seemed itchy all over and I saw that the bumps were indeed spreading. So, I gave her some Benadryl and waited, hoping the Benadryl would take care of the problem. The rash got worse, so I called Peter (at work) and gave her more Benadryl. The rash continued to get worse. I called Peter again, put the girls in the car, and headed for the hospital. All the while, the rash was getting worse and she was freaking out.
As I was driving, I was having flashbacks to when I made a similar drive to the hospital with Kenna the first time she had peanut butter. And still more flashbacks to Halloween of this past year when we almost lost Kenna because she ate a Butterfinger. "Oh Jesus, help us."
I continued driving, watching to make sure she was still breathing. As we sat at a stoplight, about halfway to the hospital, she started vomiting. And I started to freak out. And pray some more. 
We made it to the hospital. Peter met me at the door, grabbed her from her car seat, and rushed her inside. They were able to start an IV, give her more medicine and stop the reaction. We stayed for three hours so that the doctors could observe her and make sure that the reaction truly was over. And now she is fine. 
It came on so quickly. I gave her scrambled eggs. We have been having a hard time getting her to eat protein. So, I thought I would try eggs. I watched her closely to watch and make sure she didn't have a reaction. Because of the allergies that run in Peter's family, and now in ours, I am very careful any time I give her a new food. For some reason I thought eggs would be fine. But they weren't. SO now we know. We are an egg and nut free family.
So thankful this beautiful girl is ok!
Peter and I have been talking a lot lately about trusting the Lord, about how much of our trust we give to Him. Some things we give Him willingly, others we hold back,  not sure that we are willing to surrender. Daily, it is a choice to give those things up to Him - often for me, not just a daily choice, but a moment-by-moment choice. One of the things I keep a close grip on - my girls. I know in my head that He is trustworthy, but my heart doesn't believe it - I am too afraid that I could lose them. But yesterday, the Lord asked me, challenged me to trust Him with Koley. And so, I practiced trust. I looked and remembered the ways that God has been faithful to me and to our family in the past and applied that to this situation with Koley, believing that even now, He is faithful. Even if that meant, I might lose her, I choose to trust, believing that He is still faithful. Every day is a journey with Him. This morning, I am feeling so grateful that His hand of protection was on my precious girl. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace!



No comments:

Post a Comment