Thursday, September 26, 2013

Community

So, tomorrow night we have our first fundraiser event. With people we know. To admit we have a need. To admit that we can't do it alone. To ask for help. Crap.

Why is it so hard to ask for help. Why is it so hard to admit that I need help? Why do I always want to look like I have it all together, like I can do this thing without any help? And who do I think I'm fooling?

The Lord designed me to live in community with people, to depend on the people around me, to need the people around me. He made me this way. Why do I run from it? I mean, I like community when its fun and we are laughing and playing together ...but community when I have to be real and admit my struggles and ask for help and accountability? Not. Fun. Well, not fun in the admitting, not fun in the asking, and so ridiculously humbling ... BUT amazing in the receiving. Amazing in the seeing how God provides. Amazing in seeing how the Lord created all of our strengths to form and fit together.

As we have been on this journey the Lord has brought a passage to us: 1 Samuel 30. In it, David goes to battle. Their town has been pillaged and he is going to battle to get back what was stolen from them. He takes some men with him to fight and rescue the women and children and bring them home. He leaves some men back in the town to guard what is there. When he comes back from battle, the men that went to fight with him agree to give the men who stayed back their wives and children. But, they don't want to give those men a share of the plunder. David, disagrees with this. He says that ALL men were needed to win the battle and that they will ALL share EQUALLY of the plunder.

That's pretty cool. We are all needed. We all have a role to play. Whether or not we like our role, whether or not we feel like we are making a difference, we ALL have a role to play and we will ALL share in the plunder. You are needed and you make a difference. I am needed and I make a difference. Big or small. YOU ARE NEEDED.

This is how we feel about Honduras. God is calling us to go, but we CANNOT do it alone. As He is calling us to go, He is calling people here to stay and get involved in what we are doing there. And here comes the part I struggle with so much ... admitting our need and asking for help ...

First, through prayer. We will not make it if we don't have people committed to pray for us. We just won't. We need you to pray. Will you pray about joining our prayer team to pray for us every month as we work in Honduras?

Second, we need finances. Why o why is this so hard to ask for and admit to? Seriously, I'm cringing as I type these words. But, you know what, I KNOW that He is calling me to ask. He wants me to admit that I have a need (ugh). And so, I'm asking. Would you talk to the Lord about whether or not He is calling you to join our financial support team? Our monthly budget is $4500, which broken into 30 days, is $150/day. Would you pray about sponsoring our family for one day/half a day/a third of a day every month?

If you will commit to partnering with us through prayer or finances, pick a day - on that day, as you pray for us and support, we will be praying for you and your family. The Lord is calling us to live in community, which means, we will hopefully be ministering to you as you minister to us.

If He is calling you to partner with us, you can go to the link that is in the "Partnership and Support" tab - we need to have 80% on our money committed in order to buy our plane tickets ... so, if He's calling you, click that link :) and if you do click the link, shoot us an email so we know and can keep tally for buying our plane tickets ... and can add you to our support and prayer list.

Third, come visit us!! We would LOVE to have you come and join in the amazing work that is happening in Honduras.

(whew, I did it!)

Some pictures of my super cute family to lighten the mood ...

Playing in the "lake" at the park after the rain
Z taking a break in the "lake"
Koley lovin' the mud

Kenna's not so sure about the mud situation
I mean, common, could they be any cuter? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment