Saturday, April 9, 2016

He hears

Do you ever feel blown away at the tangible ways that the Lord answers prayers? Sometimes, I feel as though I pray and pray and pray and wait and wait and wait. Other times, answers seem to come immediately. This is how it went this past week.

In my class of fourth graders, I have a range of students, backgrounds, abilities, and reading levels. Some of my students have lots of support from home, others have almost none. Some live in nice houses with cement block walls and electricity and have indoor kitchens. Others live in houses made of mud bricks with roofs of palm leaves and outdoor kitchens with meals cooked over a fire. Some eat three meals a day and always have a snack to bring to school. Others eat one meal a day and almost never bring a snack. We have a variety of students. With that comes a variety of reading levels.

As a teacher, my training is to teach high school Spanish or English. Typically if I am teaching high school, I am not teaching someone the basics of reading: the students come to my class knowing how to read. Teaching fourth grade is presenting a whole host of challenges, but with it is teaching students how to read. As I would in a classroom in the States, I have a few students in my class who are really struggling with reading. And I am struggling with knowing how to reach them. I have tried a few different things and am having some success, but we are still struggling. Last week in the middle of the week, I was feeling so discouraged. Every day I felt as though I was constantly crying out the Lord for wisdom to know how to reach all of my kids, but especially my kids who are struggling. What can I do to help them? How can I reach them? Lord, I need someone who knows more than I do. Please, Lord, please. Help me to reach these kids. Give me wisdom.

Fast forward to Monday of this week. Only a few short days after I began begging the Lord and asking Him specifically for help with reading. Monday of this week, I walked into our teachers room and met a visiting teacher. As we started chatting, you know what she told me? That she is working this year as a reading recovery teacher. She is working this year doing exactly what I asked the Lord for wisdom with. Holy smokes. Answer. To. Prayer. So real. So tangible. So fast. So so so helpful.
Praise. Jesus. She armed me with so much wisdom, so much insight, and so many tangible things to try. Praise Jesus.

Does Jesus always answer prayers this fast or in this way? Nope. BUT, you know what it reminded me of? He hears me. He sees me. He knows me. He loves me. Even when I feel discouraged. He hears me. Even when I feel lost. He sees me. Even when I feel alone. He knows me. Even when I feel hopeless. He loves me. He is there. My prayers are powerful. Your prayers are powerful. Keep praying. Keep begging. Keep talking. He is there. He hears. He sees. He knows. He loves. Always. Forever.

- Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment